Water based lubricants are most popular for their distinct characteristics over the silicone based lube or oil based lubricants. They may not last very long, but can easily be cleanable and they don’t even leave any stains after the intercourse.
Another good thing about the water based lube is that you can use them with condoms or toys and there are no side effects as the lubricant is made from water, which is natural.
And, as the name suggests, these water soluble lubes easily get absorbed into the skin and eventually evaporate without leaving any stains or remains. Since, they dry up often during the intercourse, they’re ideal only for vaginal sex. If you’re planning for Anal session, then you should use these special lubes for Anal sex.
Before going ahead, do remember that not all water based lubes found in the market are quality products and so we have come up with the best buying guide, where we’ve reviewed different lube brands and picked the best 5 from the lot based on our personal experience, user reviews and ingredients used.
Best Water-Based Lubricants in the Market
|Water-Based Lube Brand||Ratings|
|Shibari Personal Lube|
|Carrageenan Gently Natural|
|System Jo (for Anal Sex)|
Ingredients Used in the Water Based Lube
The earlier lube brands used to contain glycerin or cellulose ether. But, the lubes these days are made using different ingredients that help in enhancing the moisture retention as well as reduce the contamination risks. There are also some water lubricants that contain a watery gel known as ‘Carraguard’, which may inhibit HIV transmission. The lubes which contain Carrageenan are said to block human papilloma virus. So, it is always advised to see the ingredients carefully before picking up the best water lubricant or for that matter any medical product in the market.
- You get the option to pick from lubes with different thickness values based on your requirement.
- Leaves no stains and hence they can easily be cleaned or washed after finishing the inter-course.
- These lubes offer protection to some common nasty diseases, but it may not be taken granted for all issues.
- Dries up more often and requires frequent application.
- Good for Vaginal sex, but not recommended for Anal sex.
Tip: In order to get more benefits from a Water based lube, it is recommended to warm it up by rubbing it on the hands before applying the solution on the genitals.
#1.Shibari Water Based Lubricant (8 oz bottle)
The Shibari lube is a blend of gel and liquid. It is the best water based lube in the market, which is easy to pour and at the same time not too runny when applied over the genitals. Interestingly, this water lube lasted long even when used with condom.
- Hypoallergenic, clean and leaves no stains.
- Contains highest grade materials for effective results and comfort.
- It doesn’t taste too unpleasant, but sort of like black licorice.
- FDA certified: Safe and effective
- No stickiness
- Frequent reapplication needed like with most other water soluble lubricants. However, it lasts a bit long compared to the other brands.
- Contains Parabens such as Methylparaben and Propylparaben.
#2.Passion Lubes, Natural Water-based Lubricant, 16 FL Oz
The formula of Passion Lubes is super light and slippery. It is compatible with all types of condoms and toys too. It is both glycerin and paraben free. Available in 2, 4, 8, 16 and 34 Ounce. Also available in 55 Gallon Drum.
- You can use any form of toys, even if they’re made of silicone.
- Contains no glycerin or parabens or petrochemicals.
- Spill-proof bottle with easy to use pump.
- Can be cleaned up very easily with warm water and mild soap.
- Tastes like Aloe-vera (well, if you like it, but not recommended)
- Few customers have found the lbe to be sticky and gooey. But, we personally didn’t experience the problem.
#3.Lulu Lube, Water-Based Personal Lubricant for Men & Women
When compared with the other brands in this price range, Lulu lube provides more lubrication. In our personal trial, the lube provided more slipperiness than any silicone-based lubricant and lasted a bit long than others.
- Free of Glycerin, Petrochemicals and Parabens.
- Suitable for sensitive skin.
- Provides more lubrication without any stickiness.
- Has no smell.
- Suitable for use with all forms of toys.
- 100% money back guarantee.
- The advantage it has over the other brands is a disadvantage to some people. As it provides more lubrication, some people feel it too slippery.
#4.Carrageenan Gently Natural Personal Lubricant
The interesting thing about this particular lube is that it feels like your own secretion and not any artificial lube. It feels so natural that your partner thinks that you’re naturally lubricating without using any products. The lube contains ingredients such as Carrageenan, water, citric acid, menthol, sodium benzoate, vegetable glycerin and Propylparaben. The ingredient ‘Carrageenan’ is found in the ocean plant life and has been called as one of nature’s most effective lubricants.
- Excellent for getting relieved from vaginal dryness and therefore getting rid of pain during the intercourse.
- Plant-based ingredients are 100% natural and safe to use.
- Comes in a convenient/no mess gel with self-sealing pump for easy application.
- Latex condom compatible.
- One of the ingredients (Propylparaben) is from a paraben family, which is used as a preservative.
#5.Slippery Stuff, Water-based Long Lasting Lubricant
It is one of the best personal water-based lubricant gel that relieves you from pain and increases the sexual pleasure. The formula is ultra slick and silky. It is odorless, doesn’t leave stains, lasts longer and safe hygienic. The gel has been recommended by experts for 2 decades.
- Odorless and easy to clean.
- Long lasting gel.
- Glycerin free and Petrochemical-free.
- Ingredients are De-ionized water, polyoxyethylene, sodium carbomer, phenoxyethanol.
- No itching or stickiness found.
- Costs cheap, but effective.
- Not recommended for Oral or Anal sex.
#6.System Jo Water-Based Lube for Anal Sex
This is only lube that we suggest for use while having an Anal intercourse. It has no fragrance and contains no silicone, wax or oil. Another good thing is it didn’t need frequent reapplication like the other lubes in its category.
- FDA approved; Safe and Effective.
- Not made up of oil or wax or silicone, but still slippery enough to have Anal or Vaginal sex.
- Can be used with condoms.
- Contains plant sourced Glycerin.
- No added Desensitizers.
- If you’re planning to have a long-lasting Anal session, then this may not serve the purpose and might need a dedicated Anal lube in that case.
#7.Astroglide Gel, Personal Water Lubricant
You can find many users claiming the Astroglide gel as the best water-based lube, thanks to its formulae which is pH-balanced and petroleum-free. It has a slight bittersweet taste and is odorless. It can be used to treat vaginal dryness, but for shorter periods only. This gel is also condom compatible.
- Gel and not liquid. Slippery enough.
- Water-based, water soluble and hormone-free.
- Condom and latex-safe.
- Can use with silicone toys.
- Good for relieving from vaginall dryness during sex.
- pH balanced and petroleum-free.
- Contains Glycerin and Methylparaben.
That’s all friends! We’ve reviewed nearly 15 products, and found these 7 lube brands worthy enough to be included in the best water-based lubricants list. Hope this list saves you a lot of time. Pick the one that suits your requirement and have a better pain-free sex life.